Churches in Land

This page presents the churches of Land, Innlandet, Norway, along with photos that bring their beauty and character to life. Each church has its own story and place in the history of the district. Together, they reflect the faith and spirit that have been at the heart of the community for centuries.

Nordsinni (1758)

Nordsinni Church, a “cross church,” was built in 1758 and was moved down into the valley from what is the current location of Hogne Chapel in 1898. The first reference to Hogne/Nordsinni Church was from 1311 to 1317. Through the years, there are various spellings for Hogne, including Haunar, Hougner and Haugner. The church in Østsinni became the main church for Nordre Land when the Lands parishes were divided in 1866.

Lunde (1767)

Lunde Church, a “cross church,” was built in 1767 and replaced the Ny Gård Church. It was built of logs and has a cupola rather than a tower with a steeple. As with all churches of that time, it had a man’s side and a women’s side. Until the restoration in the 1950s, the farms had their own pew with doors into each one.

Åmodt (1823)

Åmodt Church, a building with eight sides, stands on the Åmodt farm in Nord-Torpa. This church is the farthest north of the Land churches. The church was first painted red on the outside. In 1877 it was paneled on the outside and painted white, as it appears today.

Åmodt and Åmot are the same name, meaning “where two rivers meet”. Åmot is the modern spelling used today; Åmodt/Aamodt is an older Dano-Norwegian form with a silent d, now surviving mainly as a family surname.

Austsinni/Østsinni (1877)

Østsinni Church is located a short distance northeast of Dokka. It was built in 1877 to replace an older church that was built and consecrated in 1726. Some of the timber from the old church was used in the new, no doubt some 700-800 years old at that time. Gaarder Church (sometimes confused with Gaarder Church in Vest-Torpa) is mentioned in written sources from 1337. This church has been known as Østsinni Church for the last 100 years.

Hogne (1950)

Hogne Chapel is located high in the Dæhli community in upper Nordsinni. Nordsinni Church stood here from about 1300 until it was moved to its present location in 1898. In 1935 permission to build this chapel was received. Hogne Chapel was dedicated on September 25, 1950.

Kinn (1956)

Kinn Church, a “long church,” was dedicated in 1956. The first records of Kinn Church are from 1337. This original church of the middle ages was probably a small four-sided stave church and was one of the annex churches (chapels) under Ringsaker Church. In 1817 the old church was dismantled and it is thought that the old church stood on what is now the parking lot.

Vølstad Kapell (1959)

Far up in Østsinni stands Vølstad Chapel, a “long church.” According to old community legends, this is the oldest church location in the parish, and the land around the church was perhaps the first settled area in Østsinni. It is here that the foundation of the early Volstad Church remains, believed to date to the time of the introduction of Christianity.

Fluberg (1703)

Fluberg Church is the oldest existing church in Land. It is also very important in that this was the main church for Nordre and Søndre Land right up until 1866. The present church was built of logs in 1703. It is not known what the name “Fluberg” means, and very little is known of the history from the first 100 years of this church. It is known that the first church at Fluberg was a small stave church and was built close to the lake: Randsfjorden. Fluberg was first mentioned in 1330. The first church must have been finished before 1200.

Hov (1781)

Hov Church stands in the center of the village of Hov, the administrative center for Søndre Land. This church was built in 1781, an extensive restoration completed in 1981. Hov Church is built where it is because this was a place of worship for the pagan gods (“Hov” meaning God’s house). The Christian church deliberately took over this place to show which religion had won. A church is mentioned at Hov in the 1300s.

Enger (1875)

Enger Church, a “long church,” is located the farthest south of the Land churches. Building plans began in 1870 and the church was complete five years later. The church has been remodeled since it was first built, and was rededicated in 1952.

Skute (1915)

Skute Church, a “long church,” was built in 1915. This frame-work building, on the west side of the Randsfjorden, was designed to show some of the features of a traditional “stavkirke” (stave church). At Hol in Hallingdal there is a church of the same type as Skute Church–the only difference being that Skute Church has a higher steeple.

Landåsbygda Kapel (1965)

Built in 1965, Landåsbygda Chapel is the newest church building in Søndre Land. The altar painting dates from before 1700 and originally hung in the first Fluberg Church. There has never been a church here before the present one. The architect of this chapel, Per Nordan, also designed Vølstad chapel in Østsinni.


History

Before Nordre Land and Søndre Land had their own churches, they were one. From roughly 1850 until 1866, the entire district was administered as a single clerical unit, Land prestegjeld; just five parishes covered both future municipalities. The table below shows how those five sokn and their annex chapels were organized in the years just before the split.

Parish (sokn)Main churchAnnex chapel(s)
ØstsinniØstsinniVølstad
NordsinniNordsinni
TorpaÅmodtKinn, Lunde
FlubergFlubergLandåsbygda
Søndre Land (Hov)HovEnger, Skute

Today, that single shared district has become two independent parish councils. Nordre Land now counts four parishes: Østsinni, Nordsinni, Torpa, and Lunde, while Søndre Land has three: Fluberg, Skute, and Søndre Land (Hov). Between them, the two municipalities maintain twelve churches, a legacy of nearly two centuries of splitting, rebuilding, and, in Lunde’s case, a hard-won campaign to avoid being torn down at all.

NORDRE LAND

4 parishes

  • Østsinni (Østsinni, Vølstad)
  • Nordsinni (Nordsinni, Hogne)
  • Torpa (Åmodt, Kinn)
  • Lunde (Lunde)

SØNDRE LAND

3 parishes

  • Søndre Land (Hov) (Hov, Enger)
  • Fluberg (Fluberg, Landåsbygda)
  • Skute (Skute)

Timeline

Eight centuries of faith on the shores of Randsfjorden — from a single shared church to seven parishes and twelve churches.

Legend

  • Boundary change
  • Church built or event
  • Pre-Reformation
    Fluberg, the shared church
    Main church for all of Land, both future Nordre and Søndre Land.
  • 1703
    Fluberg church rebuilt
    Present timber church replaces the earlier stave church on the same site.
  • 1726
    Østsinni’s first timber church built
    A cruciform church at Gårder replaces an earlier medieval stave church. It stands for 150 years.
  • 1758
    Nordsinni church rebuilt at Hogne
    The decayed medieval church at Hogne is replaced. Same year, Østsinni’s church is also rebuilt.
  • 1767 to 1769
    Lunde church built in 1767 and consecrated in 1769
    Built as a gift church on Vest-Torpa, a chapel rather than its own parish.
  • 1781
    Hov church built
    Cross-plan church at a site used for worship since before Christianity arrived in Norway.
  • 1823
    Åmodt church built, old Kinn church torn down
    Åmodt becomes the shared church for all of Torpa, after decades of dispute over the site.
  • 1847
    Municipalities split
    Nordre Land and Søndre Land become separate civil municipalities. Church administration does not yet follow.
  • 1848
    Lunde granted six services a year
    A royal resolution answers a local campaign to save the church from demolition after it was slated for closure in the 1820s.
  • 1866
    Land prestegjeld splits, Nordsinni named head church
    Nordre Land: Østsinni, Nordsinni, Torpa (annex). Søndre Land: Fluberg, Hov (annex). 5 parishes total. Per Nordre Land’s own parish council, the church at Nordsinni becomes the district’s head church at this split.
  • 1875
    Enger church built
    Second church of Hov (Søndre Land) parish.
  • 1876 to 1877
    Østsinni church rebuilt
    The 1726 church is torn down and replaced on the same site at Gårder, designed by architect Jacob Wilhelm Nordan.
  • 1898
    Nordsinni church relocated
    The 1758 church is moved down into the valley, about 1.6 km from the old Hogne site.
  • 1915
    Skute church built
    First church on the western shore of Randsfjorden, splitting off from Hov as its own chapel parish.
  • 1950
    Hogne (Haugner) chapel built
    Built on the old Nordsinni church site.
  • 1954
    Lunde becomes its own parish
    185 years after the church was built, Lunde is promoted from chapel to full parish, bringing Nordre Land to 4.
  • 1956
    New Kinn church consecrated
    A chapel is finally rebuilt at the old Kinn site, 133 years after the original was demolished.
  • 1959
    Vølstad church consecrated
    Second church of Østsinni parish.
  • 1965
    Landåsbygda church built
    New chapel within Fluberg parish, Søndre Land.
  • 2004 to 2012
    Prestegjeld phased out nationally
    The Church of Norway retires the old clerical-district system; the parish (sokn) becomes the primary unit.